Friday, September 21, 2012

My Top 5 Reads Thus Far in 2012

I finished my 100th read of 2012 this morning and as I entered it into my log (yes, I keep a spreadsheet of everything I read, because I'm that nerdy!), I scrolled back through and reminisced about my favorite reads of the year (thus far). 

I recently finished reading Origin by Jessica Khoury, a debut YA book from a new, young author, just released on Sept. 4.  I had heard tons of hype about this book and it sounded really cool but I wasn't sure if it was something I wanted to buy.  I eventually caved and used some Amazon gift card money (thank you, Swagbucks, for keeping me in free Kindle books!) to download it for my Kindle.  (Sadly, this is the book I was 95% of the way through when my Kindle died, but the book was so good I'm not blaming it.  And also, now I have an excuse to preorder a Kindle Paperwhite!)  Anyway, I'm hoping to find the time to write up a full review of Origin but for now let me just say that this book is TOTES AMAZEBALLS!!!  It's not only in my top 5, it's in my top 2 (with Cinder, by Marissa Meyer).  It was one of those books where, after I finish reading it, I immediately want to go right back to the beginning and start reading it again. 

So, Origin.  And Cinder, obvs.  Close behind are Partials by Dan Wells (the hubs even loved this one), Divergent by Veronica Roth (which I actually have read twice this year), and A Million Suns by Beth Revis.  And yes, they are all YA books.  After 3 grueling years of dissecting "literary" tomes like Ulysses in graduate school, I feel I've earned the right to read nothing but YA fluff for the rest of my life if I so choose. 

No comments:

Post a Comment