Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Writing Night

This week, for the first time in a long time, I had a "writing night." I used to do this once a week - Cy would take Gemma somewhere, and I'd have the whole house to myself, and a whole evening just for writing. Generally, though, by then, I'd just be too exhausted to focus on writing and would end up taking a bubble bath with a book instead. Last night, when Cy and Gemma left, I started to crash on the couch. But I REALLY would love to finish this novel sometime in my lifetime, so I opened up my laptop and forced myself to write. I decided not to focus on editing last night. Editing is something I can do any day, any time. But since I had about two whole hours just to myself, I decided to try to write some new material.

It was long and hard, and I was really lagging, but I managed to crank out about two pages. Which doesn't sound like much, but at this point, 2 pages of new material was huge. I feel pretty good about the direction I'm going with this year's draft, and I think the scene I wrote last night will be a nice addition to the historical story arch.

Now if I can stick to the schedule of a night strictly for writing at least once a week, maybe I can finally finish this novel. Maybe even by the time Gemma goes off to college. Who knows?

No comments:

Post a Comment